CO DANGER

Did you know carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning kills over 50 people every year in Canada? Carbon monoxide it a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that results when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood have insufficient air to burn completely. CO exposure can cause flu-like symptoms including: headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. In higher concentrations and when left undetected, CO can result in death.

To keep consumers safe, the Government of Ontario has introduced new requirements to help protect Ontarians against carbon monoxide poisoning by requiring all homes to have carbon monoxide alarms. The new regulation, which came into effect October 15, updates Ontario’s Fire Code.

Many Canadians die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes, most of them while sleeping.

Hundreds of Canadians are hospitalized every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, many of whom are permanently disabled.  Everyone is at Risk – 88% of all homes have something that poses a carbon monoxide threat.

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, toxic gas that enters the body through the lungs during the normal breathing process.  It replaces oxygen in the blood and prevents the flow of oxygen to the heart, brain and other vital organs.

Carbon monoxide detectors will now be required near all sleeping areas in residential homes and in the service rooms, and adjacent sleeping areas in multi-residential units.

For more information http://www.oafc.on.ca/carbon-monoxide