Having easily read house numbers are a convenience when having a pizza delivered, but vital when police, fire, or ambulances are trying to find your house. Most emergency response crews can find streets quickly enough, but their arrival can be delayed if you have no house numbers or they numbers are not visible from the street. And that includes nighttime. Victims of heart attack, stroke, and choking require immediate care. Minutes can mean the difference between life and death.
If the numbers on your home are not easy to find or read, it will take longer for crews to reach you.
– House Numbers should be:
– Arabic font numerals (Fancy script is hard to read
– Displayed at the front of house and visible from the street- day or night
– If the dwelling is located more than 45 feet from the front lot line, the number should be displayed on a gate post, fence, mailbox, or other appropriate place that will make it visible from the street from all directions when approaching from the street.
– Must not be obstructed by shrubs
-Lighted at night
So, take a minute. Go outside and take a good objective look at your house number. Would you stake your life on it?
The numbers shown here are from www.modernhousenumbers.com
– Chip Barkel, MCNE, SRES, Toronto Real Estate. Extraordinary Service. Top Results.