A Little Bit Country. A Little Bit City. The present day Bayview Village neighbourhood was planned in 1954. Bayview Village was hailed as “contemporary living in the countryside, at the doorstep of the urban concentration of Metropolitan Toronto.” The design and layout of Bayview Village is very much influenced by the East Don Valley Parklands. Dr. E.G. Faludi, the town planner who designed Bayview Village, recognized the importance of the East Don Valley Parklands when he said “We will fit the community into the landscape and not the landscape into the community.”
Faludi’s trademark curvilinear street pattern that follows the natural contours of the land was designed to highlight the natural beauty of the neighbourhood. This planning foresight created an environment enjoyed today as a vast and tranquil green haven with various trails, walkways and bicycle paths at your door. The park’s naturalization and preservation programs have made the space a habitat for wildlife and a number of rare plant species. There are many smaller parks and parkettes in Bayview Village. Blue Ridge Park and Bayview Village Park are child-focused, with baseball diamonds, splash pads and playgrounds.
Many of the streets are named after racehorses (e.g. Citation, Palomino, and Flaremore). Nearly a quarter of the space in Bayview Village is still green. Bayview Village’s winding streets and cul-de-sacs are planted with mature birch, cedar, willow, spruce, pine and maple trees. Some of the Bayview Village houses are situated on ravine lots that feature views of the East Don River Valley Parklands.
The residential architecture today is an interesting mix of original single-story homes built in the 1950s and 1960s, as well as grander estate properties, which take advantage of the generous lot sizes.